Thursday, October 27, 2005

Music - Madness - Mayhem

Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that some of the best music on the airwaves these days is in the car commercials??

Watched an interesting segment on Tavis Smiley a little while ago. Author(ess) Barbara Ehrenreich was discussing her new book, Bait & Switch and had some interesting comments. She did "research" on trying to find a job -- paid for career coaches, job fairs, networked, posted the resume everywhere you are supposed to post it, etc etc.

After all that the only job she was offered was commission only with Aflac. She said that white collar jobs come down to one thing -- those insane personality tests that are given. Corporate America is looking for people that are easy to shape, are followers and will just adapt.

She was giving all these examples of how people pursued the American dream, got their MBA's but at the end of the day, they are still given half an hour to clean out their desks.

She also made an excellent comment about health insurance -- we need a national plan because it makes no sense for health insurance to be tied to one's job when one's job isn't tied to us.

Oh and here's a funny part -- the career coach didn't know who she really was and has already published a best selling book -- after doing the personality test she was advised to not consider writing!!

1 comment:

Javier Marti said...

Thanks for your comment in my blog Raine.
Definetely, there is something very wrong with the way things work in the developed world. I am not surprised at all of what happened to that girl, because similar things have happened to me. It is completely true. I have had to do recruiting myself, and I know there is a lot of people on it who don`t have a clue. About MBA´s and "followers", you put it right again. When I first heard of you Raine, I thought you wouldn`t fit much either as an employee. In fact, one of the reasons I want to do the seminars is because I am not going to accept how the system works anymore, if I can. .I am giving up on being an employee. It doesn`t make sense anymore. The only future is self employment for all.
I hope that makes sense...
Best regards from
http://niquel757.blogspot.com
Javier